Tuesday, November 30, 2010

My Foodie Holiday

had a majorly cozy weekend in my country house with the 'rents
which, naturally, involved some baking, or half-baking, i guess

oh, yes i did.
pre-bake:
those were the only two balls (lol. sorry can't stop myself) "officially" eaten by moi. i probably ate about 6 or 7 in actuality.
The Best Balls you'll Ever Have  :P
basically just used Mama Pea's recipe and switched margarine to butter, pb to almond butter (it's all i had but it turned out sooooo well) and peanut butter chips to butterscotch chips (which were AMAZING)
                                               hey, it's mah face! vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
this one does NOT need to be Extra Large

I thought i'd take a pic of myself enjoying one just so you guys know that i actually exist (and that i'm not actually a forty-year-old man pretending to be a teenage girl...ew) ha i like never put pictures of myself on here :)
i saved a little bit of room for dinner, of course. my dad made this delicious butternut squash soup. so yummy (and photogenic)


my parent's friends came over and brought Gingerbread!
I usually dislike gingerbread but this was so good. It just tasted like a brown-sugary cake, not too tangy.
my adorable dessert plate.
before...


and after.
isn't food so much more fun when it's cute?
I also picked up this edition of Newsweek. Has anyone else read it?
it's really fascinating. Miller talks about how what we eat reflects our social class. She says that "17 percent of Americans—more than 50 million people"are "food insecure"- aka don't necessarily have enough money to adequately feed themselves and their families on a day-to-day basis.

   (http://www.newsweek.com/2010/11/22/what-food-says-about-class-in-america.html)


While it certainly may not help someone who is still entrenched or actively sick in their eating disorder to ask them to think about statistics like this, I think that in recovery opening your eyes to the reality and harshness of situations around you can really make worrying about food and weight seem pretty trivial and ridiculous.



That is, of course, not to say that having an eating disorder or that struggling is "ridiculous", but rather that sometimes it can be really motivational or eye-opening to step outside of ourselves and look at other things in the world which can easily make the-ever-worried- about -calories seem like not so big of a deal.
  chestnuts roasting on an open fire...

On that note, i watched The Cove on Sunday and was throughly moved/disturbed by it. It's about the murder of dolphins in Japan. Has anyone else seen it? As soon as i finished watching it i went to the website that they give a link to, because i really felt touched by it and wanted to do something. Again, it's that internal passion that i feel so intensely as of late. But really though, when there are so many other things to feel excited/passionate about, who has time for an eating disorder???
So guys, i apologize because i was going to write a more important and involved post but i got busy and then i missing y'all and really wanted to post/say hi tonight so i'm just gonna go ahead and post this, insignificance and all.
Hope you all have had a good start to the week thus far!
P.S. Can you think of any ways in which you (personally, on a day-to-day basis, or maybe even in a larger sense) see how the food that "we" eat is reflective of social class? What else does it reflect, do you think? Is this a touchy topic for some?
xo
rose

12 comments:

  1. My dad is from India and after visiting there I realize just how true food is reflective of social class. The rich there have SO much and the poor just struggle to buy small things like bread and bananas. It really is heart breaking and reminds me of how lucky I am. I plan to take Maya at some point so she realizes it as well.

    Butternut squash soup would hit the spot right now...wish I was in NYC so I could enjoy some with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming from Korea, where everyone is determined to feed you, and Singapore, where (good) food is really cheap and plenty, I can't say I really saw for myself the separation of social class food until I moved to America, where I saw the sorta "well-off" class munch on organic carrots and cashew butter on blogs, while I stand in line for hours in grocery stores because there are lines of families using EBT cards to purchase canned goods and bulk frozen stuff.

    There really is a distinction, and as you said, it helps to view food in different perspectives than just the privileged view of "fat" and "calories". Of course EDs are more complex than that, but one of the underlying contributions to ED is a narrow, one-sided view to food.

    Great post, Rose! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best way to beat ED thoughts is to get passionate. I love art, blogging, and also trying to help others with listening and kind words.

    You look very cute in your picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "But really though, when there are so many other things to feel excited/passionate about, who has time for an eating disorder???" <-- I really like that :) Well said.

    This topic is something I am really interested in, because my family is well-off enough to buy my 'specialty foods' like organics and expensive nut butters without batting an eyelash. Growing up I was never fed packaged/pre-made dinners with crummy ingredients and low nutritional values.. but I know that for some people that is all they can afford.
    Eating disorders are ridiculous. I hope you don't take that offensively, because it's not meant to be... but in the depths of my disorder, even thinking about the starving children of Africa couldn't sway my determination not to eat. Stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pics! And I wish I had that cookie!

    And I've never really thought about how food divides us. As a man in his 40's (never lied about that) food was what seperated me from everyone (thanks ED) I couldn't eat comfortable around others, and felt ashamed to eat or be seen eating. Having started dealing with the whole ED thing last year it's just a lot to deal with the whole eating in front of others thing.

    I love the pics by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are so adorable! :) I love that pic of you, and those balls look amazing as does that soup and the gingerbread dessert, yum!!
    you always make/eat the best stuff + your photos are so lovely(as if i haven't mentioned that yet) ;P

    anyway, i love your question about food and social class, i actually did a paper in English a week or so ago about food stamps and how NY wants to put a ban on people using food stamps to buy soda and high sugar foods and drinks...anyway, i think that in our society people do judge you by what you eat and the foods we eat can say a lot about who we are.
    people buying all/mostly organic foods, and shopping at WF etc tend obviously to be more wealthy and more idk "taste"...while people eating fast food and just "normal" brand name packaged foods are not usually as wealthy, or they just dont care a lot about nutrition...
    it all depends, i guess..but as i said, food says a lot about the lifestyles we live.

    xx Happy December lovie,
    eliza

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved seeing your pretty face, yay!
    And, dang girl...You got balls.
    You should put some nuts in 'dem balls...

    sorry. couldn't resist.

    I am now going to commence to hunt down that article. Sounds right up my alley.

    And this line you wrote "worrying about food and weight seem pretty trivial and ridiculous." ?

    Um...yes! Isnt that the most frustrating part of recovery..I have down days and I'm just like "really? seriously?" THIS is the crap thats on your mind?
    Sadly that is the nature of the beast.
    But the thoughts and voices will quiet down. I pray.

    Loves!

    ~Missy

    ReplyDelete
  8. first of all, I need some balls in my life. specifically, those balls.

    on a more serious note, I read this Newsweek article and found it to be really insightful. I take it for granted that I have vegetables at my disposal and can make the choice to not eat meat. I buy eggs that come from happy chickens and I feel good about it. Today I heard a girl talk about how her friend bought a free-range turkey to have on Thanksgiving and she thought this made him 'pretentious' - pretentious how? because you care about antibiotics in your food and the ethical treatment of animals? the fact that she related a certain type of food with a level of snobbery certainly made me think, and Newsweek is touching at the tip of a larger issue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read that Newsweek article today at work and it was absolutely fascinating. It was relevant and heartbreaking and wow-ing all at once.

    p.s. I used to despise Gingerbread, but there's just something about it this year that's just so...home-y?

    ReplyDelete
  10. first of all, I need some balls in my life. specifically, those balls.

    on a more serious note, I read this Newsweek article and found it to be really insightful. I take it for granted that I have vegetables at my disposal and can make the choice to not eat meat. I buy eggs that come from happy chickens and I feel good about it. Today I heard a girl talk about how her friend bought a free-range turkey to have on Thanksgiving and she thought this made him 'pretentious' - pretentious how? because you care about antibiotics in your food and the ethical treatment of animals? the fact that she related a certain type of food with a level of snobbery certainly made me think, and Newsweek is touching at the tip of a larger issue.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The best way to beat ED thoughts is to get passionate. I love art, blogging, and also trying to help others with listening and kind words.

    You look very cute in your picture!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My dad is from India and after visiting there I realize just how true food is reflective of social class. The rich there have SO much and the poor just struggle to buy small things like bread and bananas. It really is heart breaking and reminds me of how lucky I am. I plan to take Maya at some point so she realizes it as well.

    Butternut squash soup would hit the spot right now...wish I was in NYC so I could enjoy some with you!

    ReplyDelete